Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Today in Devonport Tasmania We went to a Devonport Senior Center choir practice session. Everyone was warm and friendly. I felt as though I was a choir member. We sang for one hour then we took 15 minute bisque tea and coffee refresher. After the brake we sang for another 45 minutes. Fun was had by all who attended. After Choir Practice I was dropped off at the Devonport Aquatics Center and swam for 40 minutes. My mother and step father John then picked me up and we proceeded to head off to Burnie. This brings me to why we chose to go to Burnie. 

About 4 days ago I fell asleep with my glasses on my face.  Upon awaking in the morning I found my glasses on the bedroom floor with the right lens  popped out sitting beside the frame.  A screw had snapped in half at the right temple. Who knows what I did to my frame in the middle of the night.  I picture myself jumping on top of them thinking that I was being attacked by a Tasmania devil or some other bizarre night terror. These are my only pair of current prescription glasses so having them fixed is important.  I chock it up to a good decision that I had brought with me an older prescription pair of glasses, just in case I needed them. So we set out on a mission to every optometrist that we possibly could visit. All of them could not fix my frame and stated that they would have to send them out to be repaired. One optometrist even quoted that it would cost $100.00 Aussie dollars.

Out of all of these stores The first one treated us the best "Eyelines." Eylines is a local optometrist chain in Tasmania. The Devonport branch is where we went to for assistance at first. The associate that waited on us was pleasant and wanted to help us but did not have the capability at their branch. She offered us two solutions. The first solution was to have my frame shipped out to be repaired but the estimated time due back would be too close to the time I was leaving, besides I wanted them fixed for the rest of my vacation. The second solution was driving down to Burnie to where their sister store was and having an associate of theirs look at them with the possibility that he could solve the problem of the split screw there because he had an array of tools and the delicate skills to repair complicated frame issues. The associate in Devonport called down to a gentleman named Brad. Brad accepted her request and arranged that we could drop by any time during the week. We thanked the associate in Devonport for her help and went on our way. This is the reason we planned a trip to Burnie.



Once we arrived into Burnie we found the Eyelines store front in the K-Mart Plaza Mall.  By this time we had forgotten the name of the associate that had the skills and tools to possibly render my frame problem.  I talked with the woman  at the counter and stated that we were referred to their Eyeliner's store because there is an associate here that can possibly fix my glasses frame.  At that point a gentleman by the name of brad walked over to my reaching out his hand for my glasses case.  He was o average height, sharply dressed and had a slight scar on his chin. He was polite and very personable. He had a quick energy about him and knew his craft well. Before I knew it he had my frame apart and he was retrieving that left-behind screw fragment from the right temple on my frame. He accomplished all of this awhile asking me questions about my visit and where do I come from. He also told me about friends that he knows who live in the states.

 I  quickly was realizing my first Australian Man Crush was manifesting in my mind.  After he finished repairing my frame I asked him how much the bill was. Looking at me in the eye he stated that this repair was on the house. I shook his hand and thanked him for being a God send as I stubling over those words and quick to correct myself. Yes indeed man crush all the way.

A few moments later John (My Step Dad) decided to go back into the Eyelines store and ask about frames. Again Brad came to our aid and treated John with personable care. He also gave John a free set of nose pads and adjusted his frame absolutely free. His Customer Service was so good that I wanted to thank him all over again, So I did.

Later that day I Went to the Eyelines web site and gave him a outstanding review for customer service. I had to leave my phone number, mabe he will call me, Ha Ha, wishful thinking.

After going to Eyelines we went to The Makers Workshop. (This excerpt is borrowed from the Makers Workshop web-page) There are not too many places in Australia – or the world for that matter – that offer the visitor something so unique you will be hard pressed to find anything like it elsewhere. The City of Burnie has managed to achieve this in its newest visitor attraction – Makers’ Workshop.

(The Makers Workshop)  This Photo was borrowed from The Makers Workshop Webpage 

(The Lobby Area) This Photo was borrowed from The Makers Workshop Webpage 

Drawing on the city’s heritage as a leading industrial center, Makers’ Workshop salutes the role of paper manufacturing in its past, while honoring the skills of its makers, innovators and artists of its present and future. In addition, the role of Burnie as a gateway to the fertile farming lands of Tasmania has not been forgotten completely, and is cleverly woven into the fabric of this fascinating place.
The center, into which a café, theater and other meeting place activities have been incorporated, is part contemporary museum, part arts center and visitor information centre, and as such, holds something of interest for everyone.
Volunteers at the information counter will help you find your way around Burnie and beyond. You can shop for some interesting locally made gifts and mementos in the gift shop or check out the latest Tasmanian exhibition in the gallery.

Life Size Statues made of paper

You are invited to try your hand at making paper under the guidance of experienced and informative paper makers. Depending on the day, there may be one or several makers working on site, producing any number of interesting things. You are encouraged to meet the makers and have a chat about what they’re making or see their objects for sale in the gift shop.
Discover what makes Burnie tick from the interpretive displays or simply appreciate the stunning giant sepia images taken by Wolfgang Seivers, still recognized as one of the world’s finest industrial and architectural photographers.
Grab a coffee, a plate of fresh local fare or enjoy an all day breakfast and reflect while enjoying the 



Life Size Statues made of paper
Life Size Statues made of paper
Life Size Statues made of paper


Life Size Statues made of paper
Henry's Ginger Beer is a locally brewed ginger ale like drink. Brewed with real ginger. The teste has a nice spice to it with a lemon Zing after taste. pleasant on the pallet.  

I am finding that Ginger Beers are a staple soft drink in Tasmania. I have always love ginger beer. In the states you can't find Ginger Beer everywhere you go. In Tasmania it's offered just about anywhere.  The nice thing about Henry's is that is specific to the Burnie area and brewed locally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment